Did you know that social media posts with YOUR picture are 38% more likely to get likes and 32% more likely to get comments than other posts?? It's vitally important to have images of you to use for branding your business. Even if you're not a business owner and need a headshot for other reasons, like for LinkedIn, your website, or your resume, you still want them to be amazing and want to LOVE how they look! The more you love them, the more you'll use them and the more engagement you'll get! So here are 15 ways to nail your headshots and branding photos!
15 Ways to Nail Your Headshots & Branding Photos
- Steer away from loud/bold prints and patterns. Keep it simple, so the focus is on your face. However, be YOU!
- Try color-coordinating with your brand colors.
- Consider your industry. If you are a realtor, accountant, or another professional business professional attire would be appropriate. You want to look like the expert and authority in your industry. If you’re in network marketing, health and fitness, or children’s education, etc you may want to consider business casual, or casual. You want your images to relate to potential clientele. No matter what industry you’re in, wear something that makes you feel amazing and super confident!
- Also, consider colors that compliment or contrast your skin tone.
- Choose clothing that fits appropriately, not too tight so it’s not stretched, not too loose so it’s not bunchy. Sleeves and narrower necklines are easier to work with, to keep bra straps from showing. However, Scoop or V-Neck tops help elongate the neck. Men, you’re always safe with a solid button up, rolled sleeves, or jacket.
- Ladies—I cannot stress this enough. Wear a darker lip color than you think you should. On camera, with lighting, your lipstick and makeup in general will look lighter. Use a darker shade on your lips for some contrast and color. Just make sure your lip color doesn’t clash with your brand colors! And stay away from eye shadows and blushes that have shimmer. Men, unless you have an established beard, be sure to have a freshly shaved face.
- Leave your hair down, no ponytails (unless your in the fitness industry). But wear your hair how you wear it most of the time, ie if you normally wear it curly, don’t straighten it.
- The day before or the day of, is not the time to try a drastically new hairstyle, in case you don’t like it. Make hair appointments at least a week or two out for trims or color touch ups.
- Eat a low-sodium diet the day or two before and stay well hydrated with water to minimize puffiness.
- Also, try your best to get a good amount of rest and sleep the week of your session, so you will look well-rested.
- If you wear glasses and can, wear a pair that does not have transition lenses. Some people will pop the lenses out for the session and put them back afterwards. SUNGLASSES- please remove on your way to the session at least 15 minutes ahead of session start time, to reduce sunglasses marks on the bridge of your nose.
- Update your headshots and branding photos often. I recommend at least twice a year.
- Think about the copy on your website or that you will use with your images. Discuss these ideas with your photographer, so you can both get ideas and shoot for those images.
- Instead of saying “cheese” think of something happy, something funny, an inside joke you have with someone, or the amazing feeling of accomplishment you’ll get when you reach a huge goal! Spend some time the week before practicing in front of a mirror or with your spouse or a friend. Another tip, that is somewhat awkward to try to understand is the Squinch. The best way to explain this is with a YouTube video, check it out here--https://youtu.be/ff7nltdBCHs
- Things to consider bringing to your headshot session—an extra top, just in case the one you’re wearing isn’t jiving or you get a stain on the way; some floss, your lipstick or lip balm; hair brush or comb for touch ups; a blazer or jacket; lint roller; a fabric softener sheet for staticky hair; any props you want to use in your session like a laptop or book; and lastly-- but most importantly your smile! Sometimes it helps to bring a playlist of songs on your phone that get you relaxed, or make you feel amazing!
If you are in The Woodlands, Spring, Conroe, Magnolia, Montgomery, or Willis areas and need to update your headshots or branding photos, please contact me here to discuss details of your session! Let's work together to make your Headshots amazing!